UPDATE (10:25 AM, Saturday October 6th): The deceased subject has been identified as Sershawn Martez Dillon (DOB 2-22-87).

UPDATE (9:20 AM, Saturday October 6th): Further investigation has revealed that the deceased subject is also believed to be the individual responsible for a stranger sexual assault that occurred in the same neighborhood just prior to his encounter with law enforcement. The TBI will identify the deceased subject after ensuring proper notification to his next-of-kin.

UPDATE (3:45 AM, Saturday October 6th): Additional investigative efforts have determined two, not three officers, fired during this incident. The statement has also been corrected to reflect that the subject died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, and not on the scene of the incident.

At the request of 20th District Attorney General Glenn Funk, and per the Memorandum of Understanding in place between his office, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, and the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, TBI Agents continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding a fatal officer-involved shooting Friday night in Nashville.

Preliminary information indicates Metro Police officers received a call of shots fired at approximately 10:30 PM at an apartment complex at 2400 Buena Vista Pike. Upon arriving, the officers observed a subject who matched the description of the suspect in the shots fired complaint, and that of a reported pistol-whipping incident earlier in the night. The officers then observed the subject running into an apartment, quickly regrouped, and approached the apartment’s door in an effort to make contact with the subject and check the welfare of those inside the unit. For reasons still under investigation, the situation escalated, and resulted in gunfire between two officers and the subject. One of the responding officers was struck in the leg and injured. The subject died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

At this time, the investigation remains active and ongoing. TBI Agents and Forensic Scientists continue to gather relevant interviews and evidence. Throughout the process, investigative findings will be shared with the District Attorney General for his further review and consideration.

As is our policy, the TBI does not identify the officers involved in these types of incidents and instead refers questions of that nature to their respective departments.

Updates on this investigation will be posted online at TBINewsroom.com.