MEMPHIS – An investigation by special agents with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation’s Medicaid Fraud Control Division has resulted in the arrest of a Memphis woman on a charge of abusing a vulnerable adult in her care.

TBI began its investigation into Tiaranee Phillips (DOB: 7/30/93) of Memphis, in August, after receiving information from the Tennessee Department of Human Services Adult Protective Services and the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.  During the investigation, agents determined Phillips, while working as a caregiver, assaulted a physically disabled, vulnerable adult at a residence in the 3000 block of Darrow Road in Memphis.

On November 9th, the Shelby County Grand Jury returned an indictment, charging Phillips with one count of Abuse of a Vulnerable Adult.  Thursday, Phillips surrendered to the Shelby County Jail East Women’s Facility, where she is being held on $25,000 bond.  Phillips is no longer employed as a caregiver.


Note: The TBI’s Medicaid Fraud Control Division received 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $6,879,772.50 for federal Fiscal Year 2022. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $2,293,257.00 for Fiscal Year 2021-2022, is funded by the State of Tennessee.