UPDATE: 7/27/18, 10:55 AM: Upon review of video and other evidence gathered as part of this ongoing investigation, the TBI is updating its preliminary understanding of the facts of this incident. The exact circumstances, however, remain under investigation at this time.

At the request of 20th District Attorney General Glenn Funk, and per the Memorandum of Understanding in place between his office, the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, TBI Agents continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding an officer-involved shooting in North Nashville on Thursday evening.

Preliminary information indicates the incident occurred shortly after 7:00 Thursday evening. Earlier in the evening, officers from the department’s Juvenile Crimes Task Force were looking throughout the North Nashville area for stolen vehicles and, at a location several miles away, happened to see a vehicle travelling in an erratic pattern. An officer attempted to stop the vehicle, but the driver did not and instead fled the area. Officers did not give chase. Instead, they expanded their search area.

A short time later, while circulating the parking lot of the John Henry Hale Apartments, near the corner of 17th Avenue North and Jo Johnston Avenue, the officer re-encountered the three male occupants of the vehicle. The video indicates they had exited the vehicle as the officer entered the parking lot. It also indicates one of the three males, likely the driver of the vehicle, Daniel Hambrick (DOB 6-1-93), turned and ran from the officer. A foot pursuit ensued for a short time and, at one point, based upon the video, Hambrick appears to have a dark-colored object in his hand. The situation escalated further, for reasons still under investigation, and resulted in the officer firing his service weapon several times, striking Hambrick. Medics transported Hambrick from the scene for medical treatment, but he died a short time later. Agents recovered a handgun at the scene. No law enforcement officers sustained injury in the incident.

As of this time, it does not appear video captured the entirety of the incident. However, efforts to determine if additional video exists remain ongoing.

TBI Agents continue to gather relevant interviews, assisted by a team of TBI Forensic Scientists, who will gather all relevant physical evidence. Throughout the process, investigative findings will be shared with the District Attorney General’s office for his further review and consideration.

As is our policy, the TBI does not identify the officers involved in these types of incidents and instead refers questions of that nature to their respective departments.

Any updates on this investigation will be posted online at TBINewsroom.com.