NASHVILLE – Today, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation released to the public its 2014 ‘Crime on Campus’ report. The annual study compiles information submitted to TBI by the state’s colleges and universities through the Tennessee Incident Based Reporting System (TIBRS).
- Overall, crime reported by Tennessee colleges and universities decreased by 6.3% from 2013 to 2014.
- Reported incidents of Burglary decreased by 34.1% from 2013 to 2014
- Reported Fraud Offenses increased 19% over 2013’s study.
- The reported incidents of Rape increased from 26 in 2013 to 46 in 2014.
- DUI offenses reported by Tennessee’s colleges and universities decreased by 34.9% between 2013 and 2014.
As always, the TBI strongly discourages the comparison of one institution’s statistics to another. The factors impacting crime vary from community to community and rudimentary comparisons will most likely result in inaccurate and generalized conclusions of the relative safety of one campus over another.
The full 2014 ‘Crime on Campus’ report, along with similar studies dating back to 2001, is available online for review at http://www.tbi.tn.gov/tn_crime_stats/stats_analys.shtml.